What do you do with all that fish ?

P
pinstriper
So, I mentioned the other night to my bitter half that I had taken it in mind to maybe go on a tuna charter this year.

Which she said tuna are big and what do you do with it all ?

So....how much do folks prepare to bring home ? And how do you handle it ? Can it ? Steak and freeze ? Sashimi blocks - can you freeze those ?

Would like to hear what folks have experienced and done.

We have a freezer in the garage, mostly filled up with homemade soup from the garden, butter from Costco, and Farmland bacon.

Reactions: Ikijime and Admin
C_Run
C_Run
No Title

This and smoke the bellies. Barbecue the fresh loins. Our friends gives it to us so we don't have to go. You better have some friends willing to accept tuna.

• photo30983.jpg
Reactions: Ikijime
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
C_Run;n601288 said:
This and smoke the bellies. Barbecue the fresh loins. Our friends gives it to us so we don't have to go. You better have some friends willing to accept tuna.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/myaziHK.jpg?1"}[/IMG2]

can most of it, BBQ some fresh.

Reactions: Admin
Admin
Admin
rogerdodger;n601291 said:
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/myaziHK.jpg?1"}[/IMG2]

thanks rogerdoger, added to our smilies

:whs:

P
pinstriper
Thanks, and how much do you typically expect/hope/prepare for just in case to get ?

G
Gulfstream
1 good size albi[20lb] should yeild a case of canned.One you try it you will NEVER eat store bought again.Also.make Poki and Sashimi

Reactions: Ikijime
P
pinstriper
Gulfstream said:
1 good size albi[20lb] should yeild a case of canned.One you try it you will NEVER eat store bought again.Also.make Poki and Sashimi

Yeah, I'm dreaming of poki and sashimi. Would prefer as much in that form as can be managed, if there's a useful way to preserve it tyat way.

I've had good canned tuna from the canery in Garibaldi, yeah way better than store bought.

Ikijime
Ikijime
I thought that commercial fish boats "flash froze" sashimi grade fish (some varieties, anyway) to an exceptionally low temp to kill parasites. Am I mistaken? I'd love to be able to use fresh tuna for nigiri sashimi!

lol @ pinstriper's "bitter half".

Last edited:
Ikijime
Ikijime
So, tuna is the exception to the rule of being required to be frozen to kill parasites.

"Food and Drug Administration regulations stipulate that fish to be eaten raw -- whether as sushi, sashimi, seviche, or tartare -- must be frozen first, to kill parasites. ''I would desperately hope that all the sushi we eat is frozen,'' said George Hoskin, a director of the agency's Office of Seafood. Tuna, a deep-sea fish with exceptionally clean flesh, is the only exception to the rule."