Barview Jetty crabbing

I
IdahoNative
I am going out to the jetty in a few days and decided that I was tired of using my shellfish license for just sand shrimp, so I decided I will try my hand at crabbing. I bought a couple traps that attach to poles (1 closing and 2 snare). I have the regulations book so I know about that. I am just unsure of how to go about this. What do I use for bait? How long do I let them soak? Also my biggest question:
-It is my understanding that you don't want to kill the crab and eat it hours later. So, what do you do when you catch some? Throw them on ice? Can I keep them in a bucket with saltwater in it until I am ready to leave?

B
backcountryhunter
In Garibaldi there are two public places to toss crab rings, traps or max's. Use chicken or turkey legs. I also hear tuna works well. I have caught crab off the piers using Crab Max traps that you cast with a rod or just toss them with a hand line although a bigger trap or ring might work better. The traps you toss with a rod might not be heavy enough to keep down off the jetty and they will probably get hung up in the rocks. I keep my crabs in a 5 gallon Home depot bucket with salt water when at the pier. and I transport them home that way and them boil and clean them. There are several YouTube videos on the crab max and how to clean crab. Remember you can only keep male dungys and up to 25 RedRockys. Read the regs and pick up a measuring tool. Good Luck.

EOBOY
EOBOY
IdahoNative;n597857 said:
I am going out to the jetty in a few days and decided that I was tired of using my shellfish license for just sand shrimp, so I decided I will try my hand at crabbing. I bought a couple traps that attach to poles (1 closing and 2 snare). I have the regulations book so I know about that. I am just unsure of how to go about this. What do I use for bait? How long do I let them soak? Also my biggest question:
-It is my understanding that you don't want to kill the crab and eat it hours later. So, what do you do when you catch some? Throw them on ice? Can I keep them in a bucket with saltwater in it until I am ready to leave?

If all else fails and you get tired of losing $20 traps buy a spool of HEAVY test line and wod it into a ball put 4 oz. of weight on it and some big hooks. The crabs crawl onto the wod of line and their legs get caught in the loops. Works well OFF the rocks. I started using that method almost 35 years ago and it works.

B
BaldTexan
EOBOY said:
If all else fails and you get tired of losing $20 traps buy a spool of HEAVY test line and wod it into a ball put 4 oz. of weight on it and some big hooks. The crabs crawl onto the wod of line and their legs get caught in the loops. Works well OFF the rocks. I started using that method almost 35 years ago and it works.

LOL. You might be redneck if.....

Reactions: EOBOY
EOBOY
EOBOY
BaldTexan;n597878 said:
LOL. You might be redneck if.....

so true! When my youngest son was in the womb we went to Barview in Jan. we had fished for Steel for 3 days without a bite decided we would try crabbing OFF the jetty. we bought 2 of the little rings with the loops. We lost them both within an hour. As we sat there wondering what to do, an old couple came down to the rocks. I'm talking OLD! Had to be in their late 80's. They had a rod with a big gob of line wadded up. They caught about 3 or 4 nice crabs packed up and went home, we went to the store and bout line. We went home that night with 3 limits of Dungy. It was my BD the 3rd of Jan. I'll never forget it.

I
IdahoNative
Thanks for all the replies guys. I kind of figured I would lose some traps so I only bought a couple so it wont be a big financial loss. I will have to think about the wad of line thing.

B
BaldTexan
EOBOY;n597881 said:
so true! When my youngest son was in the womb we went to Barview in Jan. we had fished for Steel for 3 days without a bite decided we would try crabbing OFF the jetty. we bought 2 of the little rings with the loops. We lost them both within an hour. As we sat there wondering what to do, an old couple came down to the rocks. I'm talking OLD! Had to be in their late 80's. They had a rod with a big gob of line wadded up. They caught about 3 or 4 nice crabs packed up and went home, we went to the store and bout line. We went home that night with 3 limits of Dungy. It was my BD the 3rd of Jan. I'll never forget it.

Do you bait the hooks or are you just flossing crabs?

Reactions: EOBOY
EOBOY
EOBOY
:lol: