Salmon steelhead fishing?

F
Fishpdx
I'm going crabbing at waldport on the weekend and wondering if anyone catches any fish from the alsea bay boat dock? I know that salmon and steelhead are in that river but I usually fish clackamas and willamette. My question is can I cast out a spin n glow for any steelhead or salmon who pass by? I'm not really familiar with that area. Also If you guys think I shouldnt fish for salmon steelhead can I catch any other fish from that dock? maybe like perch or something? Thanks!

P
pinstriper
Bayside dock ? Depending on the current and tide, go prepared to plunk a spin-n-glow, toss a spinner, twitch a jig, or drift eggs/shrimp/jig under a bobber. Hell, throw a spoon into the mix.

What's to lose ? You're sittin' there waiting for the crabs to get too curious.

Reactions: Fishpdx
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Carp;n596819 said:
I'm going crabbing at waldport on the weekend and wondering if anyone catches any fish from the alsea bay boat dock? I know that salmon and steelhead are in that river but I usually fish clackamas and willamette. My question is can I cast out a spin n glow for any steelhead or salmon who pass by? I'm not really familiar with that area. Also If you guys think I shouldnt fish for salmon steelhead can I catch any other fish from that dock? maybe like perch or something? Thanks!

I sort of think you should not fish for salmon or steelhead in the Alsea Bay in July because it is closed. Chinook open August 1 and Steelhead open Nov. 1.
-------------
Alsea River and Bay
  • Open for Chinook salmon Aug 1 - Dec 31, upstream to USFS River Edge Boat Landing.
  • Open for hatchery steelhead Jan 1 - Apr 30 and Nov 1 – - Dec 31.
  • No fishing from a floating device upstream from Mill Creek.
  • Open for other fish as described in Marine Zone.
----------------

F
Fishpdx
rogerdodger;n596824 said:
I sort of think you should not fish for salmon or steelhead in the Alsea Bay in July because it is closed. Chinook open August 1 and Steelhead open Nov. 1.
-------------
Alsea River and Bay
  • Open for Chinook salmon Aug 1 - Dec 31, upstream to USFS River Edge Boat Landing.
  • Open for hatchery steelhead Jan 1 - Apr 30 and Nov 1 – - Dec 31.
  • No fishing from a floating device upstream from Mill Creek.
  • Open for other fish as described in Marine Zone.
----------------

Thanks . You just saved me from getting a ticket! Is there any other fish caught in bay?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Carp;n596856 said:
Thanks . You just saved me from getting a ticket! Is there any other fish caught in bay?

salmon and steelhead smolt heading for the ocean...LOL sorry, that one was just too easy- long long ago, probably '92, I tried trolling a trout spinner around Alsea Bay while our crab pots were soaking (across the bay by the concrete conduit) and after releasing a couple of salmon smolts, I stopped doing that real fast...

C_Run
C_Run
Carp;n596856 said:

Just up the road is Eckman Lake which has a dock and some bank access for trout and (I think) bass.