I caught a lingcod !!

P
pinstriper
Fishing for perch at the south end of Lincoln City, hauled in a monster lingcod. Easily 5, maybe 6". No photo, but I still count it, and I didn't get skunked !

Surf was pretty strong, I think the Siletz bar was closed because while we were there, a guy on a jetski was outside the bar, along with a powerboat. A CG helo showed up and circled while they came in, so some sort of drama.

The sand is pretty steep there, I figured this would be a good place (parked in the Mo's lot and walked out by the mouth, went a few hundred yards up the beach away from the river. This was just after high tide, but man there was a strong current that dragged everything sideways towards the river mouth.

Was this just the strong surf, or is that beach just not the right spot ?

Reactions: Hooked Up and Admin
Admin
Admin
Congratulations! )

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
no picture, didn't happen. LOL. that was the saying as I recall it from years ago..

sure it wasn't a little cabazon? there are lots of little versions of those buggers...

Reactions: Admin
T
TimberTodd
That area on an incoming tide can get pretty knarly. The wind can make it even worse.

P
pinstriper
rogerdodger;n596636 said:
no picture, didn't happen. LOL. that was the saying as I recall it from years ago..

sure it wasn't a little cabazon? there are lots of little versions of those buggers...

I'm not at all sure it wasn't a cabbie. It sure did flare his wings out. But this beastie was so small it would be like counting Lincoln's whiskers on a penny to be sure.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
No Title

pinstriper;n596653 said:
I'm not at all sure it wasn't a cabbie. It sure did flare his wings out. But this beastie was so small it would be like counting Lincoln's whiskers on a penny to be sure.

sounds like a sculpin (in the cabbie family). Ling Cods don't have those 'wings', sorry.

• photo30470.jpg
P
pinstriper
Made up for it today. 4ffa9174c91e35053fd78a3983bd172c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: billfisher and Admin
P
pinstriper
rogerdodger;n596672 said:
sounds like a sculpin (in the cabbie family). Ling Cods don't have those 'wings', sorry.

Ya that's what he looked like, Thanks Roger !