Ocean salmon fishing season begins!

Admin
Admin
The long-awaited ocean coho salmon season begins tomorrow, Saturday, June 25, off most of the Oregon Coast, with the area off the mouth of the Columbia River open to chinook and coho the following Friday, July 1.

• photo30413.jpg
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Coho! it's what's for dinner (last night) mate!

6x7K6fx.jpg

Reactions: Admin
Irishrover
Irishrover
No Title

If the ocean permits me to venture out, I'll be testing the waters off the Columbia this Friday. I'll start prospecting with my favorite salmon catching machine, my pink hoochie.

Reactions: BaldTexan and Admin
Irishrover
Irishrover
What a fantastic day it was. Flat Columbia River Bar crossed at 8:30am. A nice run out on a smooth ocean to the #1 buoy. We dropped in four lines and trolled toward the Columbia River entrance buoy to the south. Not much action so we picked up the lines and ran further to the south. No action there either. Headed back up toward the CR buoy but out further west into 235' of water. Boom we were in the fish and landed out ten coho for the boat limit. It was all about scouting out the ocean until we hit fish. No big bait balls, no flock of feeding birds or whales, just a flat ocean with no wind. We finally saw fish boiling and knew we were at the right spot. We fished plug cut herring, anchovies, and rootbeer hoochies. We were only down about 16' in the water with our lines, right were the fish where. When we got into them it was fast and furious. Nothing like a crazy silver on the end of your line. Lots of acrobatics with fish jumping, running at the boat and making those quick changes of direction. Just got to love fishing for silvers on a flat ocean, nothing but pure fun. It was a great start for ocean salmon season.

Irishrover
Irishrover
No Title

One of my fishing pals gets the job of wheeling the fish cart. Those fish cut nice and are now being vacuum packed.