Early beach walk...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hit a beach at first light to recon for razors and whaaaaat? located a limit in about 2 hours.

j5mCV0X.jpg

"jig and dig chowder" (grilled rockfish and razor clams) for puck drop this afternoon! cheers, roger

Irishrover
Irishrover
Nice picture, it looks like you can see a couple of shows right there by you pile of clams.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I read last night that the tides would be right. Wish I could have gotten over there. Nice work.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Irishrover said:
Nice picture, it looks like you can see a couple of shows right there by you pile of clams.

I wish, don't get many easy shows down here on the central coast, round depressions are pretty much always little sand crabs....I've dug up hundreds of them and do rarely get a razor, probably 50 sand crabs to 1 razor...

hobster
hobster
Yummy! Enjoy the chowder and game this eve :thumb: Wish I was over there, it's waaaay to hot in the valley for early june and getting hotter every minute :sad:

Go Sharks, lets see a series for cryin out loud

C_Run
C_Run
Thanks for the intel, Roger. (Been there) We got the guns and licences but still have not gone. I had razors at Jakes last weekend, $32, ouch but my brother was buying:D.

B
billfisher
Nice looking Razor's, Now I'm drooling! Just put a load of kokanee in the Big Chief so that helps.

G
Gulfstream
Wow! Nice and what time is dinner?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Cooling down mid next week. Time for more springers.

hobster said:
Yummy! Enjoy the chowder and game this eve :thumb: Wish I was over there, it's waaaay to hot in the valley for early june and getting hotter every minute :sad:

Go Sharks, lets see a series for cryin out loud

Irishrover
Irishrover
rogerdodger said:
I wish, don't get many easy shows down here on the central coast, round depressions are pretty much always little sand crabs....I've dug up hundreds of them and do rarely get a razor, probably 50 sand crabs to 1 razor...
I'd be in trouble down there or I be really tired. Still a nice looking pile of clams.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Irishrover said:
I'd be in trouble down there or I be really tired. Still a nice looking pile of clams.

I get almost all mine out at the edge of the surf or in foot deep surf, where they will briefly show the top of their siphon at the top of the sand, today I was about 15 for 18 going after those...

E
espencer757
Did everyone survive the heat? I think an early, mid day and evening beach walk would have been where to be.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
espencer757 said:
Did everyone survive the heat? I think an early, mid day and evening beach walk would have been where to be.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

what heat? is it hot somewhere? our high today is going to be about 60F in Florence and it was probably 55F at first light when we started digging just a bit north from here...:D

F
Fishpdx
rogerdodger said:
what heat? is it hot somewhere? our high today is going to be about 60F in Florence and it was probably 55F at first light when we started digging just a bit north from here...:D

It's 98 in portland right now

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
if you have never canned razor clams, the results are fantastic- super flavorful broth and the clams are tender and delicious, perfect for dips or chowders.

we got 12 half pints from the 42 that I dug over the last 3 days (3 to 4 whole razors per jar)... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Irishrover
B
backcountryhunter
Would you share the recipe or method for canning clams. I usually freeze mine in salt water. What do you do with the diggers?

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Nice work! I took advantage of the tide on Sunday and pulled my limit in 40 minutes! I was pretty stoked to get a limit on my first try south of seaside. They were very healthy clams too! I think the closure helped boost the population, there were a lot where I went here in newport

Irishrover
Irishrover
Good job Rodger. Canned clams are fantastic. Great on crackers with a bit of cheese or add to a dip. I put them as well as salmon into scrambled eggs for breakfast. We add just a drop or two of liquid smoke for flavor. Canning is a perfect way to make them last.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
backcountryhunter said:
Would you share the recipe or method for canning clams. I usually freeze mine in salt water. What do you do with the diggers?

sure, did you mean 'diggers' (tasty foot shaped thing on the bottom) or 'siphons' (slightly tough part they extend to the surface that results in the figure-8 shaped show)?

as for canning, we clean them well, butterfly open the siphon and stomach, then pack them whole into half-pints, leaving 1" clearance at the top of the jar. 3 good sized razors fills the jar perfectly. then we add broth to fill the jar but still leave 1" clearance at the top. the broth comes from the cleaning process- we drop the clams in almost boiling water for just long enough so they spring open. the sand all settles to the bottom and we scoop out this light clam broth to use later for canning or cooking.

we add 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt and a little lemon juice (~1/2 teaspoon) to each jar, put on the lids and rings, and pressure cook at 10psi for 70minutes.

cheers, roger

update: the conventional wisdom that razor digging is better early in the tide cycle was in full force Tuesday, surf was about the same but almost no clams showing, mostly empty catch bags on the few people out today, I worked hard to get 5 and they all came out in the surf, several of them I punched up in knee deep water...but I got just enough for a nice dinner tonight and that was todays goal...:)

B
backcountryhunter
Thanks for the recipe on the canning process will have to try that. "diggers" are what we call the fatty piece they use to dig the sand to get down. You can tell the health of a razor clam by how much fat is in the digger. Washington razors are crazy fatty. Oregon has less fat than Washingtons. But they do get better feed coming out of the Columbia.