Solid week on the Sandy

B
BamaDan
Ok so consider me an official convert to the Cult of Steelhead. I had been getting skunked bad for about a month and took a break for a while. I decided to give it another shot this week hoping some new fish had arrived in the system, and I found some. After hanging into a couple bright summers earlier this week on spoons (and actually landing one) I have a brand new respect for them. I was just swinging a spoon, thump, thump, thump, and the line went slack. I set the hook, and got an up close look at why I've heard so much about how great of fighters they are. I found her in a seam beside some fast water, and as soon as she felt the hook, she took to the current, ran through a minefield of rocks, and I didn't think I'd ever turn her around. Never in my life have I had such a white-knuckle, heart pounding fight. Except for maybe that time I landed a 20lb carp on a 5wt fly rod.

I went out yesterday for too long, was about ready to give it up, but had an ugly, cut up, spawned out native buck take my jig. It wasn't much of a fight, but I didn't get skunked.

I'm hoping this summer run only gets better.

• Sandy Steel.jpg
Reactions: Admin
Admin
Admin
Nice fish and cool post! And welcome to the Cult! :thumb:

M
mikeee2362
Nice fish Dan! You have always been a member...you just didn't know it yet!!

J
JonT
Nice fish and nice shirt! Every time I drive over the Sandy on my commute from Portland to HR, I want to stop and throw a spinner. Soon.

T
Toyracer38
Gratz on the Chrome Beauty! Now somebody needs to teach him the secret handshake! :victorious:

Irishrover
Irishrover
That a nice fish.....caught at a nice place, glad you had a good day.

S
SteelyDan's
Congrats on the nice summer steel. And the shirt is badass. Going to watch them when they come to Seattle in August. CHOP!!!

B
BamaDan
I'm going to have to make that trip to Seattle. A Wednesday day game. Now that's too good to miss.