Anybody tried lately on the McKenzie?

N
natro
I was just curious if anybody's still trying to catch any steelhead up on the McKenzie. I haven't been up there in awhile, probably a month or a little more. The last few times I was up there it was real slow. I was looking at the pics on my phone and the last fish I caught was June 30th, landed 2 that day. Anybody else had any luck recently?

H
Hmf
I'm going tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

R
rippin fish lips
Hmf said:
I'm going tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yuo going up up high or staying low? I will be somewhere out there.

I guess it's been really slow up high lately. I have managed to pull a few steelhead out in the lower river area. I would fish low - mid section of the river. Steelhead are spread out in the whole system. If spoon fishing, look for boulder pockets with deeper pools, pick each pool out, fish the shallower pools/eddies and work your way to the deeper ones. Save the fishiest looking spot for your last few casts in the area.

H
Hmf
rippin fish lips said:
Yuo going up up high or staying low? I will be somewhere out there.

I guess it's been really slow up high lately. I have managed to pull a few steelhead out in the lower river area. I would fish low - mid section of the river. Steelhead are spread out in the whole system. If spoon fishing, look for boulder pockets with deeper pools, pick each pool out, fish the shallower pools/eddies and work your way to the deeper ones. Save the fishiest looking spot for your last few casts in the area.

I'll be low. Thinking below the damn to start off, then whatever bank access I can find after. I'm going to be using a float and jig, but my brother might be using spoons.
Thanks for the info.

H
Hmf
Didn't catch anything other than a few trout. Some guy on a drift boat caught a steelhead though.

R
rippin fish lips
Hmf said:
Didn't catch anything other than a few trout. Some guy on a drift boat caught a steelhead though.

Where were you? Below the damn. Ended up floating from Leaberg to Green wood. Caught nothing but trout. Heard of a dude in a boat getting a steelhead. Were you in the salmon holes? Did you see a dude casting spoons/spinners , then roe with blue gloves? We were the 2nd boat that came down

H
Hmf
rippin fish lips said:
Where were you? Below the damn. Ended up floating from Leaberg to Green wood. Caught nothing but trout. Heard of a dude in a boat getting a steelhead. Were you in the salmon holes? Did you see a dude casting spoons/spinners , then roe with blue gloves? We were the 2nd boat that came down

Originally my little brother and I were bank fishing below the hatchery. Then we moved down to Greenwood I think. Was that you and your son (or dad) in the drift boat?

R
rippin fish lips
Hmf said:
Originally my little brother and I were bank fishing below the hatchery. Then we moved down to Greenwood I think. Was that you and your son (or dad) in the drift boat?

Ha! yah saw you guys fishing below the hatchery. we were the last boat to drop down through the rapids er y,. hatchery.
Then we saw you guys again at greenwood. The dude rowing the boat is my buddy Bill, i am the one that was standing up front flipping spoons as we came down. But ya, that was us and i was in the front.