Power boats on the McKenzie - your opinion?

Power boats on the McKenzie - your opinion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
W
Willyspu
I boated the dam to the gravel pile take out today. 5 different power boats were working the salmon.

What's your opinion on power boats on the McKenzie?

Jim

T
Tred
Willyspu said:
I boated the dam to the gravel pile take out today. 5 different power boats were working the salmon.

What's your opinion on power boats on the McKenzie?

Jim

I would like to see no motors on the Dam to Greenwood, but that is just my selfishness coming out. I don't like to see too many regulations as I believe we as of right now. So if it was a vote for a full ban I would definitely not be in support of it, but a certain section like the above mentioned then yes.

F
fishyden
Row row row the boat gently down the stream.

E
eugene1
share the water with everyone.

R
rippin fish lips
eugene1 said:

Exactly! There is only a few weeks in the year where you can even power boat up to the damn... They will be gone be for you know it. I know if i had a power boat... and the time was right, i would take it up there to!!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I would only ban the red jet sleds :)

They catch too many Fish

eugene1 said:

C
cobias
I say ban them from the town of leaburg up. That river is too small for power boats . Im not a jet sled hater ...its just a bit of a small river. They can fly up and down the willamette all day long. Nothing will be done about it though.

Reactions: wozniasm
E
eugene1
jamisonace said:
I would only ban the red jet sleds :)

They catch too many Fish

LOL, i wish!

E
eugene1
cobias said:
I say ban them from the town of leaburg up. That river is too small for power boats . Im not a jet sled hater ...its just a bit of a small river. They can fly up and down the willamette all day long. Nothing will be done about it though.

I was up there for the first time in 4 years last week (in my friend's human-powered drifter). Saw a couple of sleds and three drifters with kickers. Water was not too small and we didn't see any problems with powered boats on the river. Everyone enjoyed the time out with whatever craft they had (or not) and played well together. What's next for regs on the McKenzie, no aluminum boats?, no bank fisherman?, no fishing at all? Fishermen should stand together rather than nitpick amongst ourselves.

Reactions: wozniasm
J
JeannaJigs
The percentage of motorized boats up there in slim, so meh, seems like bitter nitpicking. I have a non motorized drift boat and could give a shirt less if someone wants to use a motor or not. It's not really needed, but whatever floats their boat. I get more irritated with the quantity of goons not knowing how to row a boat up there more than anything, it's just too crowded to have people not having a clue. Whichhhhh is why I really don't even fish up there anymore. Why battle crowds when there's less crowded places to go?

P
plumb2fish
Don't pick on me for trying to learn how to row my boat Jeanna, I have feelings too.....lol
It is funny the attitude that salmon season brings out on the Mckenzie....I only wish that those on power, in sleds, would try to better control their wake when they pass those of us in human powered drift boats......If you take the time to learn the river instead of complain about others, you will catch fish....

R
rippin fish lips
plumb2fish said:
If you take the time to learn the river instead of complain about others, you will catch fish....

Yup yup! I don't even pay attention to others when fishing, im too keyed on in learning the river. I would say i spend maybe about 20% of my time watching others. Other then that its just Me, the River, and the wild life.

W
Willyspu
Power Boats on the McKenzie

Power Boats on the McKenzie

eugene1 said:
I was up there for the first time in 4 years last week (in my friend's human-powered drifter). Saw a couple of sleds and three drifters with kickers. Water was not too small and we didn't see any problems with powered boats on the river. Everyone enjoyed the time out with whatever craft they had (or not) and played well together. What's next for regs on the McKenzie, no aluminum boats?, no bank fisherman?, no fishing at all? Fishermen should stand together rather than nitpick amongst ourselves.

Ok, so I wanted to get a little feed back on this and you guys have pretty much said to allow power boats while the water is high enough to support them. Although, that was not quite what I expected from this group it is clear most of you don't want additional regulations put upon you. Completely understandable.

With respect to the above posts, my only concern is that each year more power boats will be buzzing up and down the river. We all know what increased traffic will do, just like with row boats, there will be those who can drive a power boat and those that can't. Unfortunately, a poor power boat driver, in my opinion, can do a lot more harm to fellow fisherman, themselves and the environment than a person who does not row well.

While I am not advocating new regulations I think we should keep an eye on the power boats and see if they preserve what we have enjoyed about the McKenzie.

I will admit, as someone who lives next to the river, the 5a.m. power boat noise is not my favorite alarm clock, but there is currently no regulations stopping people from buzzing the river that early in the morning.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Jim

W
whammond
eugene1 said:
Fishermen should stand together rather than nitpick amongst ourselves.

Very Well said my friend. Although I understand the reason and need for a lot of the regulations, I also feel that a lot of them are petty.

L
Lowell Life Fisherman
if they have a power boat let them use it.

W
Willyspu
With the water flow down it looks like it is the end of power boat season.

I was out gardening Saturday and could hear a power boat that sounded like a '69 Camaro heading up to the herd hole. He was revving his engine continually while trying to hold his spot on the river . . . for about a 1/2 hour. The boat was much larger than the usual McKenzie River boat and had a canopy and several rod tubes.

On his way back down he scraped badly on the rocks through the rapids.

I hope he had a nice day.

J
JeannaJigs
If people want to be retarded and damage their boats, haha, I say let 'em. Jokes on them when they try to sell their crap later on and it's all dented to shirt. Damage my boat, and I will kill you, but if you want to damage your own property....go forth.

H
Hooked4Life
regulations are good because without them we would have no more fish to fish for. i do agree that there should not be a perminant ban but certain areas like the lakes would be a good idea to get rid of motors, some of them boats are leaking oils and gas into our water ways.

J
JimBob
I was out in the garage friday and heard what sounded like a megaphone. It was the state police stopping some moron with a 10 horse yamaha on a little 14ft boat. Apparently they don't understand no motors past the bridge. I think they came from doris park.

Hooked4Life said:
regulations are good because without them we would have no more fish to fish for. i do agree that there should not be a perminant ban but certain areas like the lakes would be a good idea to get rid of motors, some of them boats are leaking oils and gas into our water ways.

What lakes do you have in mind? I completely disagree with you. Motors should be allowed on ALL lakes.

L
Logger707
I think we need to regulate chest waders,hip boots only