McKenzie / Trailbridge questions

troutdude
troutdude
I'm having trouble sorting out the regs, for the Mac where it enters Trailbridge Reservoir. I want to target trout.

Does that stretch of the Mac, open this Saturday? Is it C & R only? It is artificial lures and flies only?

R
rippin fish lips
troutdude said:
I'm having trouble sorting out the regs, for the Mac where it enters Trailbridge Reservoir. I want to target trout.

Does that stretch of the Mac, open this Saturday? Is it C & R only? It is artificial lures and flies only?

I am trying to figure all out for you. I called ODFW (the springfield office) but i have to call them back at 1:00pm in order to talk to someone and ask them about this. However... I do have the number for the springfield office, which is the office you will need to call to figure out the regs for this section of river.

ODFW Springfield Office Phone - (541) - 726 - 3515. That is the number you will want to call. I will call them if no one replys and i will update this for you.

Tanner.

R
rippin fish lips
troutdude said:

It is is open for trout fishing April 28th. It is in fact (catch & release ONLY) with the acception of adipose fin clipped steelhead greater then 24" in length until october 31st. you must tag it if you plan to keep it, even tho i know u only C&R and IS (artificial lures and flies ONLY).

hope this helps you plenty! And have a fantastic day on the water this weekend! Catch lots of fish! hope to see a report :)

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Thanks Tanner, you da man! And I guess that I did read things correctly...but, they sure don't make it easy peasy!

R
rippin fish lips
troutdude said:
Thanks Tanner, you da man! And I guess that I did read things correctly...but, they sure don't make it easy peasy!

Yeah man! Your welcome. Save that number in your Celly device. It is a really good one to have, since You fish a lot of tribs off the mac.

troutdude
troutdude
Will do. Thanks again. Good luck this weekend! It's less than 22 hours from now!!!

Troutski
Troutski
Remember this is Bull Trout Country, catch and release unharmed.. No photo ops... Don't want you to get into hot water with the law, we just had a person get busted by posting a picture on this site. If in doubt about a BullTrout RELEASE it, these fish are Federally Protected.
Have a great time up there, don't forget Smith Res just above Trailbridge...Brookies !

Chuck

P6220020.jpgP5260002.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for the heads up Chuck!

There have been a few times, when I could not clearly tell if a caught fish was a bull or not. So, I gingerly kept them in the water; carefully removed the hook; and promptly released them unharmed.

Troutski
Troutski
troutdude said:
Thanks for the heads up Chuck!

There have been a few times, when I could not clearly tell if a caught fish was a bull or not. So, I gingerly kept them in the water; carefully removed the hook; and promptly released them unharmed.

Good on you, they are a very beautiful fish indeed.... while your up there you should really make the short drive up to Smith, very cool little lake.

Chuck

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks. But, releasing a fish like that is the right thing to do.

I've been to Smith once (maybe twice). While I didn't have any luck near the dam...I'd love to someday boat over to the backside where the channel flows in. It'd be great to camp out back there for a few days.

Troutski
Troutski
troutdude said:
Thanks. But, releasing a fish like that is the right thing to do.

I've been to Smith once (maybe twice). While I didn't have any luck near the dam...I'd love to someday boat over to the backside where the channel flows in. It'd be great to camp out back there for a few days.

In the back of the res there is a large flat, early morn or dusk the Brookies hang there... On a 3 weight it is a blast, I love Brookies.
The Native fish tend to hang around the many creeks that flow into the res, the Cutties are rather huge in those areas. The campgound in the back of the res is awesome, restrooms and plenty of space between sites.
Very cool little lake.

Chuck

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
:)Hit Smith Res. @ 9:30 A.M. Opening day. Two other boats out there. Picked up a couple trout right away on a Thomas and we went all the way back to see the feeder stream. Got some nice pics plus there were some piles of snow back there still. Headed back towards the dam and on the North side we found pockets of planted trout. Casting worms and Thomas lures worked quite well and limited out fairly quickly. A few people bank fishing and doing ok. A nice place to go to if you get up that far.