Fly fish Hagg lake...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly fish Hagg lake...

Never been to Hagg lake before however the wife and her friend want to kayak it this weekend (Saturday) so I thought I would take my float tube and fish it in the morning (by morning it will be 9-noon) for a 3 hours ish.. So I've been researching the lake (I think I have read through every post on this blog) and it sounds promising. I know her friend will be renting a kayak so we will be launching by boat ramp C (that's by the store yeah?). The little lady likes to kayak lakes she has never been to and that this point we have covered my favorite lakes so on to brand new lakes this year. The float tube isn't the most efficient way to travel so I will only have time to pick 1 direction to go. From what I've read I can either go NW from boat ramp c towards Scoggins Creek and Tanner Creek arms or head the other way towards the dam. Any thoughts on direction?

The plan right now is to troll a conehead size 6 olive wooly bugger with a black size 10 wooly bugger dropper(do I need to go smaller? streamer, streamer is a great set up for lake trolling, IMO) until I get to a spot to cast and retrieve(no idea yet on what I'm going to use for this part). I haven't read anything about anyone fishing with muddler minnows (trolling only)? I've had really good success with those on lakes that are similar, is there a decent Sculpin population in the lake? I'm going to sit and tie up some flies tonight so if anyone has anything suggestions for what flies or what color to use would be helpful?

This Forum has always been helpful so I'm betting on you guys again.

If you see a guy in a green caddis float tube Saturday that's me.

I'm sure everything will be open on Saturday, but might want to keep an eye on this story:

http://katu.com/news/local/bomb-squa...picious-device

I fish hagg for trout quite a bit, but use powerbait and spinners. I'm sure someone else will chime in with some advice on flies.

Comment

Originally posted by Willerman View Post
      I'm sure everything will be open on Saturday, but might want to keep an eye on this story:

http://katu.com/news/local/bomb-squa...picious-device

I fish hagg for trout quite a bit, but use powerbait and spinners. I'm sure someone else will chime in with some advice on flies.
      Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. What color powerbait typically works best for you this time of year? I've found that the power bait color usually correlates well to different attractor fly patterns color. Also do you have any thoughts on direction? Thanks

Comment

I would go first one direction from Ramp C then head back. With all the rain it may be muddier towards Scoggins. Buggers are a great bet. Personally I pull size 10-14 in olive or black.. Start with what you listed and switch it up if the fish are ignoring it. Good luck Saturday.

Comment

If I was using a tube (which I have at Hagg) I would go to A ramp and fish the area to the right. But since you will be at C ramp I would go towards Scoggins. The Bass and crappie hang around that direction.
          BIGFOOT LIVES MATTER!

Comment

Get out to where Sain Creek drops OFF, into the lake. BOOM! Fish on! Be ready, hold-over bow's put up a good fight. The same may be true, of the Scoggins inlet.

You'll want a 6 wt. IMO, or better. A 11.32 pounder was caught there, in the Sain inlet, a few years ago! Here's the pic that, I personally took. He did it, with a 5' UL rod--but it took him 45 minutes, in his toon!!!
            Last edited by troutdude; 03-30-2017, 10:16 PM. Reason: added Sain Creek info

Comment

Got to Hagg lake around 9 Saturday after picking up my wife's friend who was going to kayaking with her. Unfortunately the boat/kayak/BBQ place was closed so no kayaking for the ladies so I only fished for a hour or so. I put in at ramp C and just trolled my wooly buggers (Olive sz 6 and black sz 10) I went down the bank closest to the ramp heading towards sain creek till almost to the recration site at Sain creek. Then heading back a little further out from the bank (still inside the boats trolling that strech) and about half way back I hooked into something fairly large (probably had my flies around 20 feet down). Fought it for 5-10 secs and it was gone. Never saw it. Reeled in to find it broke at my knot on my flies. I always check my knots except Saturday I was in a hurry and it cost me what felt like a good fish.

positive note: wife didn't kayak the lake so I'll get to try it again in a few months or the fall.

Comment

To get 20 ft down were you using a short sinker line?
                BIGFOOT LIVES MATTER!

Comment

Sinking tip line that I weighted with a large split shot.

Comment

Ahhhh, I mostly do shallow ponds never used split shot. Thanks.
                    BIGFOOT LIVES MATTER!

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't recommend casting that setup but for trolling it works great.

Comment

Working...
                      X