Sturgeon at Henry Hagg Lake?

L
Lurker
bubs said:
It's the same with a lot of things, for example, UFO stories: "No, UFOs are real! Both my uncles saw one when they were drinking out in the desert! Look, here's a picture that is intriguing but doesn't actually prove anything!" It's always going to be a cycle of people who see stuff like that trying to tell others and then getting frustrated when no one believes them...and the mystery builds...and people get sick of trying to convince others...then other people jumping in and just making stuff up to pull people's legs and making the whole thing more confusing...sort of sad and amusing at the same time, ya know?

The truth is out there...

Best comparison I've even seen. :p

troutdude
troutdude
LOL

Let's ask Mulder and Scully!

G
goodie619
anglepig62@aol.com;n505188 said:
Yes the sturgeon is real in Hagg. Yes the giant carp is real also!! No the photos Masin posted are not photoshopped!!! Yes someone caught a sturgeon on Sunday at boat ramp c. Yes the employees at Hagg knows of the sturgeon there!!! If caught you have to release it!! ODFW can fine you for keeping it!!

I've personally seen the "huge Carp" back in the grassy channels on Hagg, scared the crap out of me one morning. So I don't question the possibility of Sturgeon there, dead stockers, and missing bodies over the years t feed off of. The lake has a family of River Otters that live there too. Its like 5 or 4 of them, really shy and will come eat dead fish and bait left over from anglers.

troutdude
troutdude
goodie619;n601093 said:
"I've personally seen...and missing bodies over the years feed off of. "

I'm not sure that I want to know; how you know that. :popcorn:

G
goodie619
troutdude;n601096 said:
I'm not sure that I want to know; how you know that. :popcorn:

unfortunately the sheriffs do not find all the bodies of those who have drowned in the lake. its a hard subject to talk about and many dont like to talk about it. but like the episode of "river monster" where the catfish were feeding off the remains of those who passed in India. we could have the same thing right in our local lake.

troutdude
troutdude
Never thought about it; but you do have a point. There was a drowning, at Hagg, a year or two ago--if memory serves.

Anyhow, I love Hagg! I wish that I would have started fishing it, years ago. I haven't seen any monster bows, in a couple of years. But it's such a scenic place, to hang out.

B
bubs
goodie619;n601093 said:
The lake has a family of River Otters that live there too. Its like 5 or 4 of them, really shy and will come eat dead fish and bait left over from anglers.

The Hagg otters are a treat to watch if you're lucky enough to see them. Most of my experiences with them have been at first light on the dam when no one else is around. They get quite close and seem to be inquisitive and vocal towards humans (at least in that context). I saw one come up with a squirming 10" trout literally 3 feet in front of me one morning!

I'm not sure how many there are but I have seen them both at the dam and way up one of the NE lake arms so may be more than just one group.

Do they really eat dead fish and bait goodie? Don't really seem like the kind of creature to do that...

G
goodie619
bubs;n601134 said:
The Hagg otters are a treat to watch if you're lucky enough to see them. Most of my experiences with them have been at first light on the dam when no one else is around. They get quite close and seem to be inquisitive and vocal towards humans (at least in that context). I saw one come up with a squirming 10" trout literally 3 feet in front of me one morning!

I'm not sure how many there are but I have seen them both at the dam and way up one of the NE lake arms so may be more than just one group.

Do they really eat dead fish and bait goodie? Don't really seem like the kind of creature to do that...

When I saw them, they were digging through an old white night crawler cup. I picked it up when they were done with it.

B
bubs
goodie619;n601664 said:
When I saw them, they were digging through an old white night crawler cup. I picked it up when they were done with it.

Oh man that's kinda cool, kinda sad at the same time

W
Willerman
Sorry for bringing up the dead... but someone on the "Northwest Bass Anglers" facebook page posted a video of the sturgeon at hagg. You can tell it is hagg too, by the dam.

B
bubs
Willerman;n604524 said:
Sorry for bringing up the dead... but someone on the "Northwest Bass Anglers" facebook page posted a video of the sturgeon at hagg. You can tell it is hagg too, by the dam.

Holy cow...you should start a new thread for this..

P
pinstriper
I personally saw an otter about 6 weeks ago next to C. Tool iphone video, can't figure out how to post without lots of....you know....effort.

41dbf3bf8c1d59eced09178db8fce2a1.jpg

G
goodie619
That video is spreading like FIRE!! everyone will be fish for sturgeon this weekend with the nice weather

troutdude
troutdude
'Tis NESSIE lads 'n lasses!!!!

M
montym
Haggus! Don't go catching my pet, folks... I'll remember how this beast ruined a planned quiet morning for some off us all my life.

D
dcarbonari
Since sturgeon fishing is pretty controlled and its confirmed they are there are there any regs for fishing for them? I'm guessing catch and release will be just fine but will odfw come out with specific regs regarding haggus?

G
goodie619
dcarbonari;n604549 said:
Since sturgeon fishing is pretty controlled and its confirmed they are there are there any regs for fishing for them? I'm guessing catch and release will be just fine but will odfw come out with specific regs regarding haggus?

probably so, plus no barbed hooks.

but I don't think we'll see an edit in the fishing reg till someone catches one and shares a video like this.

I wonder how busy fishing is by the dam this weekend? Think it has increased it?

D
dcarbonari
goodie619;n604552 said:
I wonder how busy fishing is by the dam this weekend? Think it has increased it?

I don't know but I'm about to go find out :D