Caught $260 in fish on Green Peter Reservoir

E
espencer757
Had a good day fishing yesterday, releasing over a dozen small sized Kokanee. That is until I got a visit from the Link County Deputy who tried up next to my 9 ft inflatable pontoon. Unfortunately, I forgot my flotation device, and got a 260 dollar ticket. Hard to take, but rules are rules.
Here is the irony, if a couple of teen-agers battles their 2 man raft across the lake they don't need a life jacket. But because my unit has "multiple" air changes, it is classified as a vessel.
The Deputy was very nice, and very apologetic, so I hold nothing against him, but I just cannot believe the idiocy of out nanny state lawmakers.
I ended up keeping one 14 in trout and 3 small Kokanee that were to damaged to release. They were delicious. At 65 dollars each, they better have been.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

E
eugene1
Ouch!

Too bad the deputy didn't issue a warning.

C_Run
C_Run
GP is the only place I've been checked in my kayak but had all the appropriate papers on me, thank goodness.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
espencer757 said:
Here is the irony, if a couple of teen-agers battles their 2 man raft across the lake they don't need a life jacket. But because my unit has "multiple" air changes, it is classified as a vessel.

bummer about the ticket, can you explain the above, I'm fairly up to speed on boating rules and don't remember anything about certain vessels canceling the PFD requirement...cheers, roger

E
espencer757
This is what the deputy told me when I asked if someone fishing from an inner tub would be required to have a flotation device.

E
espencer757
eugene1 said:
Ouch!

Too bad the deputy didn't issue a warning.
Unfortunately, it sounded like he have out several warnings already. Maybe if he would have came to me first. . .

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
espencer757 said:
This is what the deputy told me when I asked if someone fishing from an inner tub would be required to have a flotation device.

inner tube is not a boat, swimming with one of them does not fall under boating rules. it is a swimming aid, not a paddlecraft. your comment makes sense now. cheers, roger

Last edited:
hobster
hobster
Man that's a bummer. I was at Crane today in my pontoon and was wondering if I needed a PFD, next time I will know. $260, damn that seems pretty steep

E
espencer757
Here is irony. If I drive 80 mph on I5, the fine is $242. So risking my own life is more expressive that risking others. Wow.

jamisonace
jamisonace
5 or 6 more and you'll be caught up to me on fishing fines. It is unlikely you'll ever get a warning. These guys see a ticket like you see landing a keeper.

E
espencer757
I don't agree, I know many of the Linn County Deputies from the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club. They are great guys, and because they work for a public official that is "voted in to office", making to many people angry often gets then in hot water with the boss. State police is a bit different, these are the guys that normally check those bank fishing. Doesn't matter how many people they torque off. That said, I find it you cooperate and treat them with the respect they deserve, they are not always that quick to give a ticket. Argue with them, lie to them or just all around be a jerk, then bet that you are going to contribute to state funding.

I
indyflyer
"Argue with them, lie to them or just all around be a jerk, then bet that you are going to contribute to state funding."

So true, when I was an LEO we had a saying: You can't talk yourself out of a cite, but you can sure talk yourself in to one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Snappleninja
What makes me mad first of all is personal safety is a personal choice. Also it's really not even about the state being truly worried about your safety, because you not required to wear them just have them. It's not even like a car were you can be ejected and injure someone else.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Snappleninja said:
What makes me mad first of all is personal safety is a personal choice. Also it's really not even about the state being truly worried about your safety, because you not required to wear them just have them. It's not even like a car were you can be ejected and injure someone else.

you are overlooking the cost to society from personal choices, that is a reason we as a society regulate some personal choices: if someones personal choice places a cost on the rest of us, that makes it reasonable to place requirements.

no PFD on board, leads to more drownings, leads to more search and rescue/recovery costs, we all pay those.

no motorcycle helmets leads to more seriously brain damaged accident victims, we as a society have decided to take care of them for the rest of their lives even if their insurance and family funds run out, so a reduction in this reduces the cost to society.

seat belts and airbags significantly reduce the severity of injuries in accidents, this reduces the cost to all of our insurance and on society which pays for medical care of accident victims that are out of insurance and/or money, so 'society' requires airbags in cars and that people wear seat belts.

there is a measurable cost to society as a whole for these, and many more, examples of a 'personal choice' and that is why there are rules and regulations for them.

cheers, roger

Reactions: PhoFish, fromthelogo and Ballgame