Fishing spots near Sherwood?

R
ringin10
Hello all, we moved to Oregon at the end of last year and the family would like to do some fishing! We did try St Louis Ponds and Hagg Lake (caught tiny little fish) but I am wondering if there is anything closer to Sherwood/Newberg area? I have a seen a few lists of creeks/reservoirs but I can't seem to find any information on access to them, fishing info, or even if they actually exist. Any help is appreciated, Thank you!

P
pinstriper
What kind of fishing are you looking for ? Banking with the kids ?

There is a dock in Champoeg that throws off bass.

R
ringin10
Yes just bank fishing with the kids. Type of fish doesn't matter, I grew up in eastern montana catching catfish and carp.

P
pinstriper
Cook park and other spots on the Tualatin.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to Oregon, and to OFF.

There are plenty of carp, in the Willamette River--and in the Columbia. As well as smallies, bucketmouths, crappie, cutties, and panfish. Plus NFR (North Fork Reservoir, on the Clackamas River), is stocked with truck trout. Further up the Clackamas, look for Oak Grove Fork and Lake Harriet too. There is also the Sandy River, near Gresham, which has a trout population.

I'm attaching a good resource, for your review. Plus I always highly recommend "Fishing in Oregon", from Flying Pencil Publications. It is chock full, of very helpful information to old timers and to newbies. You can get a copy, at local fly or tackle shops and department stores like Bi-Mart.

Good luck, and tight lines!

TD

troutdude
troutdude
There are 2 free family events, still on the docket. One is this Sunday morning, near the coastal town of Siletz. It's bit of a trip, for you. Probably 3 hours, one way, from where you live. But if you want to get out, this would be a good way to spend time with the kids.

If you go, this Sunday, you could also fish the Siletz River and/or Ollala or Big Creek Reservoirs as well. Ollala has trout and bass; and Big Creek trout and perch.

R
ringin10
Awesome, thank you very much. We tried out Cook Park this morning with no luck. It was pretty busy so we ended up by the boat dock with lots of boaters, and swimmers. I think we are going to try the Willamette tomorrow sometime. I saw a few parks in Newberg that appear to have river access.

troutdude
troutdude
ringin10;n605601 said:
I saw a few parks in Newberg that appear to have river access.

If that doesn't work, I highly suggest the lower Yamhill River. At various times it holds smallies, crappies, cats, sea-run cutties, and native (or maybe naturalized) 'bows to boot! Check out, for example, the old Yamhill / Lafayette Locks (and the park there). It's near Newberg.

The South Fork Yamhill--is also a good bet, for trout, above the mouth of the Grande Ronde.

troutdude
troutdude
No Title

For sea-run cutties (could be some early arrivals, in the Yamhill); try hot pink Rooster Tails. I'd also try brown Rooster's too, which mimic small crawdads that they heavily feed on. If you have a fly rod, try the Borden Special (see pic). They were specifically designed--and a proven & time tested weapon--on SRC's.

• photo31517.jpg
P
pinstriper
You don't say how big your kids are or what kind of fishing they do. If they are old enough that you let them splash in the ocean, they might be interested in surf perch, just casting beyond the first breakers. But they have to be surf-safe for this, and be able to cast. Makes a day at the coast a very different outing.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Current regs:

Yamhill River and Tributaries
• Open all year for trout. Harvest allowed May 22 - Oct 31, remainder of year catch-and-release.
• During harvest season: 2 trout per day, 8 inch minimum length.
• Open for coho salmon Aug 1 - Oct 31 from the mouth to the confluence of North and South Forks of Yamhill River and the South Yamhill to the mouth of Rock Creek near the town of Grande Ronde.
• Use of bait allowed from the mouth upstream to the confluence of North and South Forks of Yamhill River.
• Artificial flies and lures only on mainstem, and tributaires, upstream of the confluence of North and South Forks of Yamhill River.

R
ringin10
You guys are awesome, thanks again for all the advice. My kids are 8 and 10 and just now really learning to fish (i know im a slacker). We made it out to Lafayette Locks area today, we ended up just down from the locks. There was a good spot with easy access and good bank for the kids to hang out on. We didn't have any luck with the rooster tails, I tossed a few other things at them with no luck. We got a couple small bass on a plain ol' bobber and worm though. Beautiful area that we will definitely be trying again.

D
DrTheopolis
troutdude;n605604 said:
sea-run cutties

Pretty sure there's no such thing in the Yamhill. They're Willamette River cutties, which are the same deal -- spawn in the tribs, and go out to the "big water" to feed. The Tualatin used to have a ton of them (we'd catch some very large ones in fall/winter).

If'n I'm not mistaken, SRC don't do the Falls. The Clack gets a small handful.

troutdude
troutdude
DrTheopolis;n605737 said:
Pretty sure there's no such thing in the Yamhill. They're Willamette River cutties, which are the same deal -- spawn in the tribs, and go out to the "big water" to feed. The Tualatin used to have a ton of them (we'd catch some very large ones in fall/winter).

If'n I'm not mistaken, SRC don't do the Falls. The Clack gets a small handful.

Hey Doc, I do believe that you are correct. I'd read that somewhere (about SRC's in the Yamhill). But a second reading of my source material; came up empty. Thanks for catching that. <pun intended..ha ha>