New to Portland...

C
changed
Howdy folks, sure this has been done a lot, but the search function isn't very helpful.

I just moved to Portland and don't have a car, so I'm wondering what my fly fishing opportunities are like around here? I'm looking for trout, bass, panfish, whatever, and I don't have a kayak.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

If you can let us know, which part of Portland you are in--it will help us, to help you. But in short, you will be mainly limited to the Columbia, the Willamette, and the Clackamas rivers. RC shared a good map, as a fine place to start.

And I always recommend getting a copy of, "Fishing In Oregon", by Maddy Sheehan. Flying Pencil Publications. Most tackle shops, and sporting goods stores, will have a copy. Also the peeps at those shops, can also give you some pointers.

C
changed
troutdude;n605319 said:
If you can let us know, which part of Portland you are in--it will help us, to help you. But in short, you will be mainly limited to the Columbia, the Willamette, and the Clackamas rivers. RC shared a good map, as a fine place to start.

I'll be in inner Northeast. I don't mind riding the bus for an hour. Additionally, I could quite easily make a weekend bikepacking trip to anything within 40 miles or so of downtown.

Also, I left my rods at home thinking that they'd be too small, not knowing that there actually are fish other than steelhead around here.

What size fly rod (or combination of two) would be ideal to cover the bases? I imagine something like an 8 or 9 for steelhead (can you fish these without a driftboat?) and maybe a 7 for everything smaller?

troutdude
troutdude
changed;n605336 said:
I'll be in inner Northeast. I don't mind riding the bus for an hour. Additionally, I could quite easily make a weekend bikepacking trip to anything within 40 miles or so of downtown.

In that case, you might be able to fish the Sandy River and / or the Clackamas River. Both have runs of Summer Steelhead, and there are smaller rainbow trout too. IMO a 7 or 8 weight rod, will be just right for steelhead. But most of the rainbows, are much smaller fish. So even a 6 weight, is overkill.

I'll defer to others, to answer your other questions.

Good luck and tight lines.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Troutdude has it nailed. A five weight would be good for trout. If you can fid a way to Oxbow park on the Sandy you'll fond plenty of bank access, along with a beautiful place to fish.

Reactions: troutdude
C
changed
Okay, thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to find a way to ship my 5wt Hardy out here & pickup a 7 for the big ones.