Corvallis area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvallis area

Ive been lurking some of the older posts on this topic but there really hasn't been much recently. I'm just looking for some good spots around Corvallis. I've fished EE Wilson and that's an awesome little pond for trout but I want to stray away from trout fishing. I'm looking to set my sights on some bass so if you have any tips or recommendations on where to go that would be awesome!

I lived in Corvallis for a few years and enjoyed a lot of the local spots for bass fishing. Some of my favorite spots which aren't secret by any means are Adair Pond and the pond over by Crystal Lakes apartments - I've caught some good sized bass out of both. There is also the pond at the beginning of 34. There is some good smallmouth around the area as well - The Mary's river has a ton, as well as the mainstem Willamette. Where the Mary's and Willy meet is a good spot, but the company is less than desirable. My favorite smallie river is the Luckiamute, but that is about 30 mins north.
    Any slough along the Willamette will hold largemouth. There are a few less known spots as well that can be found with the search function.

Comment

Thanks for the input Willerman. I'm currently trying my luck at Adair pond but so far nothing. I'm pretty new to the bass fishing scene so I'm not sure if I'm taking the best approach. I'm just using a white and chartreuse spinnerbait, and switching between casting out towards the island and casting along the bank.

Comment

Welcome to OFF.

The pond on Hwy. 34, just east of the bridges, has a very old landfill adjacent to it. So I would NOT recommend, eating any of it's finned creatures. Catching yes. Consuming no.

Just to the south, of Corvegas, is Kiger Island. That would be a good place, to explore for bass. The Long Tom River, a bit further south, has plenty of smallies and bucketmouths too. Just be sure to get land owner's permission, before you hit the water. Land does not have to be posted; to get busted for trespassing.

If you want to venture further south...there is Fern Ridge Reservoir.

Good luck, and do post some reports and pics.

Comment

Originally posted by troutdude View Post
          Welcome to OFF.

The pond on Hwy. 34, just east of the bridges, has a very old landfill adjacent to it. So I would NOT recommend, eating any of it's finned creatures. Catching yes. Consuming no.

Just to the south, of Corvegas, is Kiger Island. That would be a good place, to explore for bass. The Long Tom River, a bit further south, has plenty of smallies and bucketmouths too. Just be sure to get land owner's permission, before you hit the water. Land does not have to be posted; to get busted for trespassing.

If you want to venture further south...there is Fern Ridge Reservoir.

Good luck, and do post some reports and pics.
          I will definitely provide some followup to my ventures. No luck yesterday at Adair pond. There were four others there throughout the day and no one had any bites.

Comment

I have been out to Adair a few times already this year and will say that it is starting off a little slow - I have only hooked 1 out there in the last couple times I have been. Once Spring starts to show up a little more, you can have a good 10+ fish day out there. The whole South shore is good for lipless and squarebill cranks. The West shore is weedy, but can produce some hogs with big jigs and anything weedless - spinnerbaits work well over there too. The pond has a population of invasive Louisiana swamp crawfish, so anything that imitates those can be killer once the weather warms. Other spots on the pond will also produce bass, but I have found those two shores to be most productive.

Comment

And I will X2 what troutdude said about Kiger Island - especially if you have a kayak. I have caught more bass out of that slough than any other place. It is a little early for it still though - it is connected to the Willamette so it stays high and brown as long as the river does.

Comment

Originally posted by Willerman View Post
                And I will X2 what troutdude said about Kiger Island - especially if you have a kayak. I have caught more bass out of that slough than any other place. It is a little early for it still though - it is connected to the Willamette so it stays high and brown as long as the river does.
                Hey awesome replies! Thanks for the input. I have a buddy that fishes the Adair pond and he says there's catfish in there. Have you ever tried for one of those? If so, what'd you use? Just like a worm on the bottom?

Comment

ODFW does stock channel cats there, though I'm not sure how often or how many. I saw a kid catch one last year.. not sure what on. A lot of people will use chicken livers (you can buy them at bimart) off the bottom.

Comment

Awesome. I'll give it a go one of these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X