Ana Reservoir

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ana Reservoir

Hey, I'm new as a member but really glad to see a website like this. My dad and I are making a fishing trip at the end of April primarily focusing on Ana reservoir. We're catch and release fisherman, but we'd like to target some Stripers. Anybody have any input it would be greatly appreciate. I could offer you any advice you want on coastal streams and rivers up north you could want, thanks.:dance:

Welcome to OFF. You can one keep one Wiper (hybrid striper / white bass), in 24 hours, and it must be at least 16" (or more).

Try fishing by the outlet at the south end of the dam. The Wipers often school up in there. And if you fly fish in the evening...try Chironomids.

Will you be banking it, or boating? Spin fishing or fly? Tell us more, and we can OFFer more information.

Comment

Ana was a blast. I have not been back there for about 10 years. Then I was only fishing the stream, nice big bows. Tough to fool on the surface, but did pretty well sub-surface. I have only fished there twice, but man it was fun. Both were long days and I remember them well.

I wish I could tell ya more - kinda speaks to ya when your up on the high banks looking down... let us know how it works out.

Comment

Fish at night! That is when most of the stripers are caught. Lot's of guys stillfish prawns off of the bottom and get them, fresh dead chubs stillfished near the bottom might do well. Late april might be towards the end of the good bite, lot's of the big ones are caught in the dead of winter. They used to stock it every other year, some years fish better than others. Ana river is worth flyfishing if the stripers are not biting, like Troutdude said, Chironomids, the smaller the better!

Comment

Maybe I am not reading the ODFW reg book correctly. On page 11 under "restrictions" column, it looks like it is illegal to fish later than one hour past sunset (or earlier than 1 hour before sunrise). Am I misreading that?

Comment

Originally posted by troutdude View Post
            Maybe I am not reading the ODFW reg book correctly. On page 11 under "restrictions" column, it looks like it is illegal to fish later than one hour past sunset (or earlier than 1 hour before sunrise). Am I misreading that?
            As long as you're not fishing for salmon, shad, steelhead, sturgeon, trout, or whitefish you're fine to fish at night.

Comment

Thank you Juggernaut. I read that section both ways. It isn't as clear as it could be (at least that's my thought). Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Thanks so much for the info!! I have been researching online for like a week for good places to fish. After that I think we are gonna head north up to Terrabone to fish the Deschutes. We are lure fisherman for the most part(Panther Martin Yellow with red spot, Or Vibrax in a variety of colors) but I really enjoy using a fly behind 4 feet of leader and a clear bobber on my ultra light. I've done really well fishing a lot of lakes and rivers this way without the hassle of fly gear. I'm planning on trying that tactic on the Ana River which according to what I've read can be very productive for nice little rainbows if you are sneaky. Thanks again for all the bait ideas and fly choices. Do you think stripers would bite on a worm and bobber? Or any typical gear used for large mouth (spinner and buzz baits, cranks, poppers, jigs, plastics)? Oh and one last thing we are taking our 12 foot sea king and trolling motor so we can access all the lake.

Comment

In CA i'ved caught & r many Stripers using a flat sliding sinker, 3' of leader, thread ona Pileworm. Deepfried a few fillets.

Comment

Had a great time on the Ana River last April using flies on spinning gear under a small bobber. I had my best luck with a #14 beadhead pheasant tail. The biggest rainbow I caught was 17". There was lots of surface action (black drake mayflies hatching), but I didn't have much luck with dries. I also didn't get a bite on spinners, but when the bite went off flies a pinch of worm did the trick as usual (bait is legal on Ana River).

I didn't get around to fishing the reservoir. I thought about going out at night for stripers, but decided to sleep instead. There was a large group of yahoos at the lake, having a big drunken party. From the sounds that carried across to where I was camped, I think one of them caught a fish at around 2:30am, or maybe he got lucky in another way...

Comment

Anyone done any winter fishing here in the last few years?
                      I am thinking about treking over there next week for a few days..................

Comment

Reviving a thread from the dead! A few buddies and myself will be making the trip to Ana Reservoir towards the end of April and are wanting to get in on some of these wipers. I am reading that chicken liver off the bottom is the trick. Do people use this as like a drop shot setup, a few feet off the bottom? Or a sliding sinker setup, like powerbait, sitting on the bottom? I am also bringing a variety of crankbaits and jointed Rapalas as well.

Comment

I would do a slip weight off of the bottom. In my experience there with bait the hybrids seem to like to pick it up and carry it for a bit before committing to a bite. However, if you can find a school of them, those Rapalas aught out to work out pretty darn well for you. I have also hooked into trout casting Rapalas and crank baits when I would fish along the little dike/dam wall.

Comment

A 16-pound Wiper, was just pulled from Ana. Just a couple of pounds shy, of that lake's state record.

Comment

So let the bait sit on the bottom then? Sounds like a plan.

Troutdude - I saw that! It has me pretty excited for this upcoming month.

Comment

Originally posted by Willerman View Post
                                Troutdude - I saw that! It has me pretty excited for this upcoming month.
                                I bet. Maybe you'll be a new, state record holder!

Comment

Did you ever get out to go after the Wipers. I would love to see a report on your results. Sounds like a cool place. Being a cross between White Bass and Stripers, I would think night crawlers would work well. We caught tons of White Bass on a worm and bobber growing up. Our deadliest method for White Bass was the standard Mepps spinner with a silver and red Colorado blade tipped with a little bit of night crawler. That might work well for the Wipers, too.

Comment

Working...
                                  X