New to fishing would love some help!

P
Pilot18
Hey everyone!

I just got notified that I'll be staying here in the Portland area for the summer since I've got a summer internship and have decided I really want to get into fishing! I had the chance to fish in hawaii and have wanted to go back and do it ever since. However I am completely new to everything, so a little help will go a long way with me! Here are some questions that I've had that I would really appreciate some help on!

1. Good all around rod and reel for fishing in Oregon?

2. Good places to kayak fish?

3. Good places to fish near Portland? (Thinking about blue lake atm)

4. Is it safe for a novice to fish for salmon in a kayak?

5. Is there a good place in portland to get all my fishing gear? I have absolutely nothing for fishing at the moment.

Here's some of my personal research.

I'm looking at getting a 10ft angeler kayak from cabella. It's called the Lifetime Muskie and retails for about $280.

I'm currently looking at an ugly stik and not sure what reel yet.

I'm looking at Blue lake and also maybe the rivers if I think its safe enough to go out there!

Any and all help would be appreciated thanks!

P
pinstriper
You'll find a few of us kayak fishermen here, but more over at NWKA.

You are, however, seeking singular answers to very broad questions.

A good all around rod would be a medium action spinning rod in the 7.5' range, rated for 4-18# or such. It would really be more of a short steelhead rod, but can do a lot. Ok for bass, way overkill for trout or panfish. Insufficient for salmon or sturgeon, short and a bit light for surf perch but could be made to work. Ok as a bottomfishing rod in the bay. Of course it will do a lot of things, just poorly. But a good place to start.

Kayak fishing around Portland ? The Willamette, any number of lakes, including Hagg. Ponds galore. The Columbia, with the right experience. Sauvie Island.

Is it safe ? Sure, if you learn what you are doing and don't take on more than your skills and gear allow.

No single store gets all my business. I would guess Fisherman's gets the lions share of my business, followed by bi-mart. From there it falls off sharply to include Fish 'n Field, Cabelas, Dick's, Sportsman's, and even Wally World. Lead sinkers are lead.

Tell us a little more about what kind of fishing interests you (is it only salmon ?) and you'll get more helpful guidance.

Reactions: troutdude
EOBOY
EOBOY
I know pinstriper is going to howl but get a pontoon! With a pair of fins your hands free to fish,also they are much more stable platform for a river. Every thing else he said is right on.

P
pinstriper
EOBOY said:
I know pinstriper is going to howl but get a pontoon! With a pair of fins your hands free to fish,also they are much more stable platform for a river. Every thing else he said is right on.

Yes, because you can get right in the salmon troll parade in your pontoon. Good call.

P
Pilot18
Hey guys thanks for the replies! Sorry I couldn't get back sooner school is being a killer.

But I'm pretty inexperienced and poor (college student) so forgive me if I'm just a tad broad. But after further research maybe kayak fishing for salmon would be a little ambitious for me...

I think ideally I'm just looking to catch dinner while kayak fishing? So for further research this is probably going to be bass and trout first and maybe anything else that I could get on the line.

I'll come back with more specific questions this week as soon as exams end!

But my biggest questions have been just where do I start really what should my first purchases be and what are going to be the necessities?

hobster
hobster
First purchase should be a license, and you will need tags to fish for salmon and steelhead. I'd get a low end Okuma reel, they are great values, and a light rod with a 2-6 or 4-8 pound rating for trout and bass. 6 pound mainline should suffice. Grab a few small Thomas Buoyant spoons attached to swivels and cast away! That's a start anyway.

Reactions: pinstriper