Early season camping at Crane Prairie

M
Mbressler13
Guys and I are trying to plan a early season fishing trip up to Crane Prairie. Noticing the campgrounds don't open until May 25...We have planned a trip for May 13-16th. Anyone have any information regarding where we could camp around that area?

Thanks in advance,

Matt B.

B
BaldTexan
I've camped at Quinn the last 2 years in April. The lake opens this weekend. You could call the Crane Prairie resort. They could probably give you some first hand info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
BaldTexan
Elk lake resort is open about 9 miles up the hiway. They have available camp sites last I checked.

M
Mbressler13
Awesome. Thank you for the info BaldTexan. I appreciate it. I will be calling the resort on my lunch today to inquire about the spots available.

B
BaldTexan
You're welcome. The gal at the Crane Prairie resort was always helpful answering my questions in the past. I'll be heading out there in a couple of weekends i hope.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Fall River has a nice campground and is close, also you can camp for free around Crane and also the Deschutes has free sites and Wickiup near Sheeps Bridge is free! Also new this year is all wild Cranebows must be released!

M
Mbressler13
Leaving in the morning. Pretty excited to go back to this amazing lake.

I
iairj84
Be sure to report back when you're home!

M
Mbressler13
Ended up camping at Rock Creek Campground. Got to our spot mid day Friday and set up camp. Did not get out on the water on Friday. Saturday we got out on the water by 9 or so. Trolled around a bit, not catching anything, then went back for lunch. Afternoon we got out on the water by 1 or so. People I was with were determined to find the channels in the res. I wanted to fish the downed trees....Caught 2 on Saturday. Skunked all day Sunday. And caught one Monday morning before we left. All fish were between 14-18 inches. Trolled around the "dam" area of the lake mainly. I dont think we really targeted where the fish like to stick around.

B
BaldTexan
The channels are great when the water warms. The downed trees are where I like to fish this time of year.

P
playhooky
BaldTexan said:
The channels are great when the water warms. The downed trees are where I like to fish this time of year.

BT, you apparently fish a lot of water. There is a lot of submerged forest in Crane. Downed trees as well as those yet vertical. However, I guess I'm just partial to the wood up the Quinn arm early season visits. Seems I always find fish there this time of year. I plan to give it a go next week. Looks like I'll be packing my long johns along with my tent. 93720e3460cf2e4dd3c30bcec7ad52bd.jpg

B
BaldTexan
I too am preferential to the flooded timber in the Quinn arm