Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish kill on the upper Deschutes :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fish kill on the upper Deschutes :(

    I've seen some extremely disturbing images on Facebook today about a major fish kill on the river due to extreme low flows secondary to irrigation water use laws...I know some people live in bend and are nearby and can probably confirm this information. This is one link to some disheartening images of an amazing small stream fishery that is going to be on a long road to recovery. http://www.moldychum.com/home-old/20...fish-kill.html

    It's truly saddening.

  • #2
    Sad to see the pics in your link...

    Hope the fish get some more water!


    Comment


    • #3
      damn those farmers for wanting to water their crops!

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah it is a pretty horrible site. Ktvz.com has a little video

        Comment


        • #5
          Its quite the tragic seen its super low below wickiup down to bend. I caught a 14 in white fish on a dry crazy stuff. The dry fly fishing around bend has been very good with the low flows. The side channel that was effected was a fun spot to fish this time of year. On the bright side if there are that many fish in that little channel than imagine what could be found in the main river. The middle deschutes coud be world class if it were maintained properly.

          Comment


          • #6
            Its not for crops or farming its to see if the dam that holds back mirror pond is worth saving (its not) and what to do with the pond. Hopefully we can create an equal balance with farming good fish habitat and an aesthetically pleasing river park. Less dams more fish,

            Comment


            • #7
              It's messed up..I can't even think about it right now.

              One of my favorite fisheries in the state. ( Trout wise )

              A fishery where if you see someone keep a brown over 20" makes you cringe..well, this tops it by a thousand.

              I'll post back tomorrow with a clear mind. This thread should host some good conversation & education

              Cheers

              Comment


              • #8
                Before panic ensues it should be noted both the CO and PB irrigation canals had their flows curtailed on 10/14 - 10/15 respectively. The canals are currently dry. The pictures are from a side channel of the Deschutes near the southern point of Lava island, not the main stem Deschutes. The geological "soils" in this area are permeable unless impounded by ancient non fractured Basalt flows. The side channel is at a slightly higher elevation than the Deschutes proper, Higher water = ample flows around lava island, low water, not so much.

                I think this really goes back to the quality of education these fish receive during their schooling. Had they been properly instructed to avoid being trapped in side channels OR irrigation canals during the "dog fish" days of summer, and seasonally historic low flow periods; this disaster may have been avoided.

                On the up side... Many Bobcats and Coyotes will sleep with full bellies tonight...

                Comment


                • #9
                  very sad....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FishFinger View Post
                    Before panic ensues it should be noted both the CO and PB irrigation canals had their flows curtailed on 10/14 - 10/15 respectively. The canals are currently dry. The pictures are from a side channel of the Deschutes near the southern point of Lava island, not the main stem Deschutes. The geological "soils" in this area are permeable unless impounded by ancient non fractured Basalt flows. The side channel is at a slightly higher elevation than the Deschutes proper, Higher water = ample flows around lava island, low water, not so much.

                    I think this really goes back to the quality of education these fish receive during their schooling. Had they been properly instructed to avoid being trapped in side channels OR irrigation canals during the "dog fish" days of summer, and seasonally historic low flow periods; this disaster may have been avoided.
                    Well said.

                    It is indeed a travesty. But, let us not give in to panic and paranoia; and allow sensibility to prevail.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I haven't seen the side channel in question and its layout relative to the mainstem of the D.
                      However, I'm wondering...can ODFW (or someone else) come in during this low water and scoop a small escape channel that would allow for fish to escape during future low water years?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Here is an idea. Don't have farm land where there is not sufficient water for both farming and the fish! The fish were there first. Same problem in Nor Cal. They suck all the water out of the rivers and lakes for farmers in areas that had no water to begin with. :(

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          What crops do farmers irrigate heavily in mid October?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by steelhead_stalkers View Post
                            Here is an idea. Don't have farm land where there is not sufficient water for both farming and the fish! The fish were there first. Same problem in Nor Cal. They suck all the water out of the rivers and lakes for farmers in areas that had no water to begin with. :(
                            Hmmm, farmers without water for irrigation. Of course, this country doesn't need what any of the farmers or ranchers provide. We just need some genius to come up with crops and animals that can live without water. I don't believe it will happen. Better planning and management is on the way with all the bright new faces found at the universities around the world. Be patient, Grasshoppers.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "This department is working on water right laws that have been on the books since the early 1900's (I'm pretty sure 1912!) and subsequently are very outdated for todays needs. "

                              That's from an article I read. I hope they can do something about this...

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                The fact is there is a lot of water wasted thru the current system.

                                The open-air canals allow water to evaporate.
                                Years ago, in the the deserts along the southern border, there begin a process to pipe water underground and put an end to this problem...it worked.

                                Another problem with open canals is they leak and require constant maintenance (guess who pays?)

                                The problem we have here is ranchers/farmers have an enormous amount of political clout in Salem, and with Greg Walden, and they like the status quo regarding water rights.
                                The only way to change the current water rights situation is to begin replacing politicians....that is something we voters can do.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Sad...

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    The water withdraw has nothing to do with irrigation or farming. I just got off the river right above the fish kill and it is fishing very well lots of dry fly action. honestly if they let it flow like this most of the year it would probly be closer to pre dam destchutes levels.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by hydropsyche View Post
                                      The water withdraw has nothing to do with irrigation or farming.
                                      That's an interesting perspective...

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        This article says it's due to farmer's NOT needing water that the flows have been reduced. So I guess it IS the farmer's fault oddly enough.

                                        http://www.bendsource.com/Bent/archi...pper-deschutes
                                        Last edited by Modest_Man; 10-20-2013, 11:40 AM.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X