Good spots near Bend or Redmond lately?

D
dustincowell
Hi!

My name is Dustin and I am new to OFF. Glad I found this website! There is some really great info here from people who are obviously very passionate about fishing in Oregon.

My wife and I have been fishing during the morning and early afternoons on Sundays near Bend recently and are not having any luck at all. We just fished Dillon Falls and Little Lava Falls yesterday. Had a "nibble" here and there but they just weren't interested. Tried lots of different gear too. Is there a particular spot on the Deschutes that would be more productive... maybe somewhere even closer to town? I've even been hearing stories of the fishing around Tumalo State Park. Also thinking about doing some bank fishing at one of the Cascade lakes or one of the lakes to the south of Bend. Not sure if they are good to hit yet or wait and stick to the Deschutes for a few more weeks. Anyone having luck anywhere near Bend? Care to give some gear tips for gear that is working at any of those spots? I just need to get my wife into some fish to help keep her interest level up. She is really wanting to fish this year. Don't want her to loose interest in our Sunday fishing outings! Just need to find 1 or 2 solid spots. :)

Also, we live in Redmond and I have been looking for a spot around here to do an hour or two of afternoon/evening fishing during the week. Anyone having any luck around Cline Falls? Tetherow, Lower Bridge, and Steelhead Falls are a little further away from my house but I have been thinking about going over there too... possibly on an evening when I have a little longer night to fish. Any spot tips around Redmond would be highly appreciated! Also any gear tips for the water around here would be great too.

Thanks everyone!!!

Dustin

C
cowboysfan
HI Dustin, dont let your wife loose interest! I live in bend so dont know a whole lot about anything close to redmond that would be quick action. I was just up to big lava 2 weekends ago and we caught 16 in about 3 hours, good place to bank fish. ochoco res is a good place to bank fish down by the dam, it can be good or bad for sure but worth the drive. south and north twin are decent places to bank fish also. all these places can be fished with power bait (chartruse,rainbow,yellow seem to work best) also worm and mellow(white minnies from groc. store) do well. I use p-line floro leader 2-4 ft in length with #14 trebble for powerbait and #4 baitholder for worm and mellow. use a sliding egg sinker above swivel on main line. Good luck!

S
steelhead_slayer
If you do a search for the Deschutes you will find a lot of good information. A good cascade lake to get into some fish is Devil's lake. They stock it with 1000 every couple weeks. Powerbait works good. Bring some bug spray this time of year

Irishrover
Irishrover
dustincowell said:
Hi!

My name is Dustin and I am new to OFF. Glad I found this website! There is some really great info here from people who are obviously very passionate about fishing in Oregon.

My wife and I have been fishing during the morning and early afternoons on Sundays near Bend recently and are not having any luck at all. We just fished Dillon Falls and Little Lava Falls yesterday. Had a "nibble" here and there but they just weren't interested. Tried lots of different gear too. Is there a particular spot on the Deschutes that would be more productive... maybe somewhere even closer to town? I've even been hearing stories of the fishing around Tumalo State Park. Also thinking about doing some bank fishing at one of the Cascade lakes or one of the lakes to the south of Bend. Not sure if they are good to hit yet or wait and stick to the Deschutes for a few more weeks. Anyone having luck anywhere near Bend? Care to give some gear tips for gear that is working at any of those spots? I just need to get my wife into some fish to help keep her interest level up. She is really wanting to fish this year. Don't want her to loose interest in our Sunday fishing outings! Just need to find 1 or 2 solid spots. :)

Also, we live in Redmond and I have been looking for a spot around here to do an hour or two of afternoon/evening fishing during the week. Anyone having any luck around Cline Falls? Tetherow, Lower Bridge, and Steelhead Falls are a little further away from my house but I have been thinking about going over there too... possibly on an evening when I have a little longer night to fish. Any spot tips around Redmond would be highly appreciated! Also any gear tips for the water around here would be great too.

Thanks everyone!!!

Dustin

If you want to have some fun, see some beautiful country, and get into some fish with gear, head to Lake Simtustus. You can rent a boat for not much and head to the upper part of the lake, up past the Indian campground. When the water clears (near the narrows) start trolling green roostertrails with a small split shot to get them down. Don't bother to fish the lower end of the lake. I have fished there for years and really like the place.

Tetherow Crossing is a waste of time in the summer. Lots of folks use the place as a swimming hole and it can be loud and rowdy. Lower Bridge is another place I like, but it is a small place and much more suited to fly fishing. Another place I like is the Crooked River Blow Bowman Dam, south of Prineville. When I finish a few thing here in Culver, like my coffee, I think I'll grab the fly rod and head over there. If you are into kokanee there is alway Lake Bily Chinook, but it's best fished with a boat.

There were some pictures of Lake Simtustus fishing that I post here but I can't seem to find them. The forum lost some stuff one time when it switched servers. ODFW plants excess steelhead into the Lake. You find them lurking in the top part of the water. They are fun to land on light gear and even more fun on a fly rod. I just tried to post some picture but I'm having some trouble with attachment function.

Last edited:
D
dustincowell
Thanks for the tips! I think we will try devils lake in a week or two... looks like they are just stocking it this week according to the ODFW stocking schedule. 16 in 3 hours at big lava sounds awesome! Might have to try there soon too! I know what you mean about Ochoco too. I've done well there sometimes and other times didn't get anything. Never fished north or south twin lakes but I would like to venture there sometime too. Also REALLY want to try Simtustus. I see ODFW stocked it very heavily this year. I have a small inflatable boat that I am upgrading to a large inflatable boat and it has a electric trolling motor to get around with. Looking forward to some trolling!

My wife and I will be in Bend tomorrow and will be looking for a spot nearby to fish from about 9-2. I've been reading stories on here that first street rapids being good. Someone was also saying just above Tumalo State Park being good. The posts were at different times of the year though so I don't know if they are currently good spots. Might head down to north or south twin lakes too since I see they were recently stocked. Hope to get into some fish somewhere!

Thanks again!!! :)

C
cowboysfan
steelhead_slayer said:
If you do a search for the Deschutes you will find a lot of good information. A good cascade lake to get into some fish is Devil's lake. They stock it with 1000 every couple weeks. Powerbait works good. Bring some bug spray this time of year

I had no idea they stocked that lake that much! I have never fished it.

S
steelhead_slayer
It is good easy fishing for stockers. I like to bring kids there

D
dustincowell
Anyone know if Devil's lake has been stocked yet? Anyone fished up there yet this year?

S
steelhead_slayer
It had 1,000 stocked around the first 1st. I haven't been up there this year. Bring bug spray if you go. If your going and want a little advice feel free to pm me

S
steelhead_slayer
Did you get a chance to get out and fish? Catch anything?